All About Driving License in Dubai
If the person is a resident of the United Arab Emirates and wants to drive a car in Dubai, he or she can apply for a driver’s license under the general conditions for obtaining a driver’s license. However, if one holds a driver’s license issued by a domestic country, the conversion of a driver’s license to a UAE driver’s license may apply on terms and conditions approved by the UAE for the conversion. Anyone 18 years of age or older can apply for a driver’s license in Dubai. Persons between 18 and 21 years old have the right to apprentice.
If one is under the legal age to drive, just follow this step-by-step to get a Dubai driving license. The process of getting a driver’s license in Dubai is simple yet rigorous.
- Get an eye exam. This can be done at a driving school or at an optometrist. 2. Enroll in an RTA-approved driving school in Dubai and submit all relevant documents.
- Get a provisional driver’s license or learner’s permit in Dubai and start training.
- Take all theory courses that can be taken online or in driving schools.
- Pass the theory test to move on to practical training.
- Complete hands-on courses and pass your internal assessment.
- Complete road and city road levels.
- Pass an internal parking test in order for the school to register for the RTA test.
- Take the test and then the final RTA road test.
- Apply for a permit.
There are no shortcuts to getting a driver’s license in Dubai. The driving school registers for the theory test. After passing all the internal tests, especially the parking test, it can move on to the RTA tests; the RTA road test can only be tried if one passes the RTA theory test.
- Theory Test: The test has 35 questions to assess your knowledge of road/driving hazards, signals, and signs, as well as safe driving instructions.
- The first segment consists of 17 questions about different traffic situations.
- The second part consists of 18 questions focusing on the specifics of the driver’s license.
- The third segment – the hazard perception test – is a series of videos illustrating various environmental conditions. The questions in this segment focus on your game plan for dealing with these conditions and their risks.
- Parking Test: A fully automated test with detailed parking instructions can be performed in the smart yard of your driving academy. There are five stages in the parking test. Including:
- Parking on slopes/hills
- Emergency brake
- Parking at an angle (60 degrees)
- Parking garage (90 degrees)
- Parallel parking
This is the last and probably the most difficult step in the journey to get a driving license in Dubai. This is a real test and you’ll be driving, so make sure you’re prepared. On the date set for the test, visit the Dubai RTA Driver’s License Center. At the turn, drive with confidence in a way that showcases your overall driving skills.
The cost of a driver’s license in Dubai can range from AED 4,500 to AED 7,000 if passing the final road test on the first try. The cost of learning a driver’s license in Dubai also depends on the driving academy you choose. If one fails the test, another attempt will require seven additional classes of hands-on training before the actual test. This may end up paying some extra money for it.
For anyone successfully obtaining a driver’s license in Dubai, it is important to keep track of the license renewal date. Driving with an invalid license will result in hefty fines and fines. Therefore, it is important to check the expiry date to be able to renew your license in Dubai on time.